Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chicken in a Pot



2 carrots, sliced
2 onions, sliced
3 celery rib. cut in 1-inch pieces
3 lb chicken, whole or cutup (cook to 180F)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup water,chicken broth or white cooking wine

1)Place vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker. Place chicken ontop and add seasons and water/broth

2)Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 3.5-5 hours. (use 1 cup liquid if cooking on high)

3)Option- If your slow cooker has a probe setting check manual for temp and time to cook. My setting is for 180f . I just stick probe in thigh of bird and plug it in to the cooker and set for 180 and when it gets to 180 it will beep to let me know it is done then switch to warm mode.

*NOTE* Chicken will not brown in slow cooker. I used a can of chicken broth then I saved it after and froze it for reuse.

You can also add potatoes to the pot to make a full meal. I am still learning the art of cutting them small enough to finish cooking with the rest of the meal. Too big of a cut takes longer.

0 comments: